"VIEILLE ÉGLISE" - ÉGLISE SAINT-MARTIN

  • EGLISE
EGLISE

Presentation

Cazaubon Saint Martin church was built to replace the old Saint Martin church of the 12th century, demolished, for the most part, during the 14th century and rebuilt during the 15th and 16th centuries.
This edifice became insufficient when the population of Cazaubon’s parish was more than doubled by the adjunction of Garbiey and St Christau’s ones, in 1803. Called “Sacred Heart church” for a while, it has been shut down and restored in order to become a cultural space.
We owe the construction of this edifice to Priest Ducruc. After having restored the church of Barbotan, he has been named in Cazaubon to help Priest Faget, old priest, and parish’s priest. It was impossible extending the ancient church because of its situation. In this way, it has been decided to build this new edifice where the former cemetery used to be. This one has been transferred to its current situation. The construction works were executed with care between 1850 and 1860.
The first stone of the new church has been put up on the 15th of July, 1861. The end of the works was stopped to give way to the new recruits’ exercises during the 1870’s war.
Finally, the resumption of works continued and on the 16th of December, 1871, the first Mass was celebrated in the new church.
Inside, by entering, we can see the lack of light on the lower part of the nave’s walls. The construction of chapels on each side was planned to follow on from those which exist today. The project couldn’t come true.

Facilities & services:
Services:
Guided tours information
Touristic information
Equipment & Services
  • Services :
    • Information
    • Visites guidées
    • Informations touristiques
loading
FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_LIBELLE_DESTINATION
"VIEILLE ÉGLISE" - ÉGLISE SAINT-MARTIN
32150
Cazaubon
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 43.934414
Longitude : -0.07099
Contact
"VIEILLE ÉGLISE" - ÉGLISE SAINT-MARTIN
32150
Cazaubon
Phone : +33 (0)5 62 69 52 13